There are several members of our family with gluten intolerance. Two daughters, two sisters and my mother and also two friends. We first discovered celiac disease when we were trying to figure out why our daughter wasn't growing. The doctors didn't have any answers. You can read our story at this link. celiac disease what to do

Friday, December 3, 2010

Gluten Free Pizza

It's really exciting that more and more great pizza places are offering gluten free alternatives.   There is much reason to be cautious and ask questions.  I drive a Coca Cola delivery truck for a living.  One particular pizza place I went to was so covered in flour I left tracks walking out of the building.   I realized that this pizza place delivered pizzas to my daughters school on Fridays for lunch.  She was getting sick every Friday about an hour after her school lunch period.  Even though she knows better than to eat the pizza she was probably breathing in the flour that covered the boxes that the pizza was delivered in.  When my wife mentioned this to the school nurse they were able to let her and a few of her friends eat lunch in a different room.

At the restaurant where pizza is made be sure that their pizza crusts are made in a room that is separate and closed off from the rest of the restaurant and from where they make or keep gluten free crusts.  Be sure that they bake the pizza in a way that it will not be contaminated from other pizzas that are put in the pizza oven.  Make sure that the chefs and cooks on duty understand the importance of gluten free and take precautions about any cross contamination including changing gloves they used to put ingredients on gluten pizzas and that the other toppings have not been in contact with gluten.
I know with my daughters and sisters that gluten free pizza is one of the most long awaited treats and I want to thank every pizza place that has so caringly made it available.  Being the cook I am I like to make the gluten free pizza at home.   It certainly rewarding to watch my celiac family and friends enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment